Register    Login    Search    Rss Feeds

Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 

Post subject: other, another
 Post Posted: Fri Jul 03, 2009 1:56 am 
Students

As Charles Darwin observed, natural selection operates whenever individuals of one genetic composition are better at reproducing than that of others.

A. that of others
B. the other
C. another
D. those of another
E. that of the next

Source: Paper tests.

I am confused about the usage of other, another, each other & one another.

Post subject: Re: other, another
 Post Posted: Sat Jul 04, 2009 10:34 pm 
Students

As Charles Darwin observed, natural selection operates whenever individuals of one genetic composition are better at reproducing than that of others.

A. that of others
B. the other
C. another
D. those of another
E. that of the next

I think the answer is D. Here we are comparing 'individuals of one genetic composition" to "individuals of another genetic composition". So we definitely require the plural demostrative pronoun - those to replace the noun 'individuals'. We can immediately eliminate all answers, except D. Added to this 'another' totally makes sense because we are comparing 2 different genetic compositions.

What is the OA?

Post Posted: Tue Aug 11, 2009 2:23 am 
Students

you are right. (D) makes sense and is the answer.

Post Posted: Wed Aug 12, 2009 3:14 am 
Students

ashish.jere wrote:

Well, usage of "other", "each other" and "one another" depends on the typw of cpmparison that is in use.
Always remember, that there are many sentences wherein you may not be able to find out the exact error however they can be evaluated on the basis of your "ear" for them.

Now, usage of "other" is as follows:
As Charles Darwin observed, natural selection operates whenever an individual of one genetic composition is better than the other

Post Posted: Wed Sep 23, 2009 6:20 am 
ManhattanGMAT Staff

ashish.jere wrote:

A. that of others
B. the other
C. another
D. those of another
E. that of the next

Source: Paper tests.

in this problem, if you understand PARALLELISM, then you don't really have to worry about those distinctions.
the comparison must be made between individuals of one genetic composition and individuals of another genetic composition.

therefore, (a) and (e) are wrong because "that" is singular; we're supposed to be comparing individuals (plural).
(b) and (c) are wrong because "other"/"another" refers to another genetic composition; therefore, these are faulty comparisons, because there's no word to suggest individuals (we MUST compare individuals to other individuals, not to a composition).

that leaves (d).

--

as for the distinctions:

"the other" is used when there are only two things.
i chose one of the two dinner options; my date chose the other.

"another" is used for another of an indefinite number of things.
usually, i'll order one entree and my date will order another, so that we can each try some of both.

"each other" refers to interaction between exactly two things or people.
my date and i usually sit next to each other, rather than across from each other.

"one another" also refers to interaction, but there may be more than two things/people.
the holiday season offers many occasions for people who have not seen one another in many months to reunite.

Voit esittää kysymyksiä Ron:lle myös suomeksi

Un bon vêtement, c'est un passeport pour le bonheur.
– Yves Saint-Laurent

Post Posted: Thu Nov 03, 2011 10:55 am 
Students

Ron - Sorry for re opening thread, just one question here - is the best way to identify what's being compared is to drop the prepositional phrase and check whats being compared ?

if so could you please illustrate with an example or two many thanks.

Post Posted: Mon Dec 12, 2011 3:20 am 
ManhattanGMAT Staff

It sounds like you just asked if "the best way to identify what's being compared is to ... check whats being compared". Yes, that is exactly what you should do. :) Ignore the irrelevant parts (including prepositional phrases if appropriate) and focus on what's actually being compared. For examples, see any comparison question ever..

Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ]