Register    Login    Search    Rss Feeds

 Page 1 of 2 [ 27 posts ] Go to page 1, 2  Next



 
Author Message
 Post subject: Many financial experts believe that policy makers
 Post Posted: Wed Oct 14, 2009 12:56 am 
Offline
Students


Posts: 41
Many financial experts believe that policy makers at the Federal Reserve, now viewing the economy as balanced between moderate growth and low inflation, are almost certain to leave interest rates unchanged for the foreseeable future.

A. Reserve, now viewing the economy as balanced between moderate growth and low inflation, are
B. Reserve, now viewing the economy to be balanced between that of moderate growth and low inflation and are
C. Reserve who, now viewing the economy as balanced between moderate growth and low inflation, are
D. Reserve, who now view the economy to be balanced between that of moderate growth and low inflation, will be
E. Reserve, which now views the economy to be balanced between moderate growth and low inflation, is

Problem between A and C !


Top 
 Post subject: Re: Many financial experts believe that policy makers
 Post Posted: Thu Oct 22, 2009 1:16 am 
Offline
ManhattanGMAT Staff


Posts: 818
Please cite the source (author) of this problem. We cannot reply unless a source is cited (and, if no source is cited, we will have to delete the post!). Thanks.

_________________
Ben Ku
Instructor
ManhattanGMAT


Top 
 Post subject: Re: * Many financial experts believe that policy makers
 Post Posted: Wed Nov 18, 2009 4:28 am 
Offline
Forum Guests


Posts: 2
prep new sc2 Q200


Top 
 Post subject: Re: * Many financial experts believe that policy makers
 Post Posted: Wed Nov 18, 2009 7:10 am 
Offline
Prospective Students


Posts: 7
I would go for the A.
In C it seems odd to put in the who and use the gerund just behind.


Top 
 Post subject: Re: * Many financial experts believe that policy makers
 Post Posted: Thu Nov 19, 2009 10:33 am 
Offline
ManhattanGMAT Staff


Posts: 7594
Location: San Francisco
"prep new sc2 Q200"

I've never heard of this. Is this the name of a specific book? What company published the book?

_________________
Stacey Koprince
Instructor
Director of Online Community
ManhattanGMAT


Top 
 Post subject: Re: * Many financial experts believe that policy makers
 Post Posted: Wed Dec 23, 2009 5:30 pm 
Offline


Posts: 13
Gmat prep practice test 2, question 14.


Last edited by ryan.m.doyle on Sat Jan 02, 2010 5:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Top 
 Post subject: Re: * Many financial experts believe that policy makers
 Post Posted: Mon Dec 28, 2009 2:08 am 
Offline
Students


Posts: 6
can sumbdy pls explain what's wrong in opt D


Top 
 Post subject: Re: * Many financial experts believe that policy makers
 Post Posted: Tue Feb 02, 2010 8:37 am 
Offline
ManhattanGMAT Staff


Posts: 12474
sureshnmishra wrote:
can sumbdy pls explain what's wrong in opt D


"view X to be Y" is not idiomatic.

the relative pronoun "that (of)" doesn't refer to anything.
(for this to make sense, it would have to be "the NOUN of moderate growth", where the NOUN would come from earlier in the sentence.)

_________________
Pueden hacerle preguntas a Ron en castellano
Potete fare domande a Ron in italiano
On peut poser des questions à Ron en français
Voit esittää kysymyksiä Ron:lle myös suomeksi

Un bon vêtement, c'est un passeport pour le bonheur.
Yves Saint-Laurent


Top 
 Post subject: Re: * Many financial experts believe that policy makers
 Post Posted: Tue Feb 02, 2010 8:37 am 
Offline
ManhattanGMAT Staff


Posts: 12474
ryan.m.doyle wrote:
Gmat prep practice test 2, question 14.


fair enough.

_________________
Pueden hacerle preguntas a Ron en castellano
Potete fare domande a Ron in italiano
On peut poser des questions à Ron en français
Voit esittää kysymyksiä Ron:lle myös suomeksi

Un bon vêtement, c'est un passeport pour le bonheur.
Yves Saint-Laurent


Top 
 Post subject: Re: Many financial experts believe that policy makers
 Post Posted: Tue Feb 02, 2010 8:41 am 
Offline
ManhattanGMAT Staff


Posts: 12474
vishalsahdev03 wrote:
Many financial experts believe that policy makers at the Federal Reserve, now viewing the economy as balanced between moderate growth and low inflation, are almost certain to leave interest rates unchanged for the foreseeable future.

A. Reserve, now viewing the economy as balanced between moderate growth and low inflation, are
B. Reserve, now viewing the economy to be balanced between that of moderate growth and low inflation and are
C. Reserve who, now viewing the economy as balanced between moderate growth and low inflation, are
D. Reserve, who now view the economy to be balanced between that of moderate growth and low inflation, will be
E. Reserve, which now views the economy to be balanced between moderate growth and low inflation, is

Problem between A and C !


remember that constructions appearing between two commas, unless they are part of a list (X, Y, and Z), are modifiers and can therefore be struck from the sentence.

in choice (c), the "who" is NOT part of the modifier (since it's outside the commas). therefore, if you strike it, you get
Many financial experts believe that policy makers at the Federal Reserve who ... are almost certain to leave interest rates unchanged for the foreseeable future
this is a sentence fragment; there is no main verb.
analogy:
my brother is a consultant --> this is a sentence.
my brother(,) who is a consultant --> this is a fragment.

(note that "Many financial experts believe that" is a completely disposable "warm-up" and can be disregarded without changing or restricting the grammar of the sentence at all.)

_________________
Pueden hacerle preguntas a Ron en castellano
Potete fare domande a Ron in italiano
On peut poser des questions à Ron en français
Voit esittää kysymyksiä Ron:lle myös suomeksi

Un bon vêtement, c'est un passeport pour le bonheur.
Yves Saint-Laurent


Top 
 Post subject: Re: Many financial experts believe that policy makers
 Post Posted: Mon Oct 10, 2011 6:50 am 
Offline
Students


Posts: 1
Hi,

I have encountered the same problem in GMAT Prep test 2 .
My confusion is between the choices A and D .

I feel that option A is more ambiguous since it distorts the meaning, and makes it seem like "The federal reserve is viewing the economy and not the Policy makers".

In the Option D , the "Who" makes it clear that the sentence is referring to the policy makers and not the federal reserve who will be responsible for leaving the interest rates unchanged.

It would be a great if i can get some help on this.
Thanks.


Top 
 Post subject: Re: Many financial experts believe that policy makers
 Post Posted: Sun Dec 11, 2011 10:36 pm 
Offline
ManhattanGMAT Staff


Posts: 2597
chauhan.anhul wrote:
Hi,

I have encountered the same problem in GMAT Prep test 2 .
My confusion is between the choices A and D .

I feel that option A is more ambiguous since it distorts the meaning, and makes it seem like "The federal reserve is viewing the economy and not the Policy makers".

In the Option D , the "Who" makes it clear that the sentence is referring to the policy makers and not the federal reserve who will be responsible for leaving the interest rates unchanged.

It would be a great if i can get some help on this.
Thanks.


With D, I see a big problem with "that". What is "that" referring to? "that" is trying to refer to something, but there is no antecedent in the sentence for "that" to refer to.

_________________
Jamie Nelson
ManhattanGMAT Instructor


Top 
 Post subject: Re: Many financial experts believe that policy makers
 Post Posted: Fri Dec 23, 2011 3:08 am 
Offline
Students


Posts: 203
RonPurewal wrote:
vishalsahdev03 wrote:
Many financial experts believe that policy makers at the Federal Reserve, now viewing the economy as balanced between moderate growth and low inflation, are almost certain to leave interest rates unchanged for the foreseeable future.

A. Reserve, now viewing the economy as balanced between moderate growth and low inflation, are
B. Reserve, now viewing the economy to be balanced between that of moderate growth and low inflation and are
C. Reserve who, now viewing the economy as balanced between moderate growth and low inflation, are
D. Reserve, who now view the economy to be balanced between that of moderate growth and low inflation, will be
E. Reserve, which now views the economy to be balanced between moderate growth and low inflation, is

Problem between A and C !


remember that constructions appearing between two commas, unless they are part of a list (X, Y, and Z), are modifiers and can therefore be struck from the sentence.

in choice (c), the "who" is NOT part of the modifier (since it's outside the commas). therefore, if you strike it, you get
Many financial experts believe that policy makers at the Federal Reserve who ... are almost certain to leave interest rates unchanged for the foreseeable future
this is a sentence fragment; there is no main verb.
analogy:
my brother is a consultant --> this is a sentence.
my brother(,) who is a consultant --> this is a fragment.

(note that "Many financial experts believe that" is a completely disposable "warm-up" and can be disregarded without changing or restricting the grammar of the sentence at all.)


Hi -

I eliminated A and B strait away because of the , COMMA + ING modifier because it should also apply to the subject of the previous clause, which I thought be "Financial experts" but seeing the above post I can see "Many financial experts believe that" is just a warm up, which makes "Policy makers" the subject. So is there a way to identify these warm ups or is there a rule that i can use?

Cheers
Prasanna J


Top 
 Post subject: Re: Many financial experts believe that policy makers
 Post Posted: Sat Jan 07, 2012 10:31 am 
Offline
Students


Posts: 203
Hi please can someone pick this up?

Cheers


Top 
 Post subject: Re: Many financial experts believe that policy makers
 Post Posted: Mon Jan 09, 2012 5:30 am 
Offline
Forum Guests


Posts: 63
Hi JP , Lets first break up your qs.
comma + ing modifier - In this example this is a noun modifier and modifying the noun immediately preceding this . So this is modifying Policy makers and not financial experts. Verb modifier can modify preceding 'phrase', or verb modifier can refer to verb not attached to modifier .

I don’t think there has any thumb rule to know when the clause before that is just a warm up or has some bearing on the grammar on the later part even inside the subordinate clause.

Here the ‘that clause’ can stand on its own with modifier and active verb .
But for say if there has a subjunctive the warm up has huge impact on the later part .
Example -
Many financial experts demand that the policy makers should always listen Wall Street first, whenever making any law - This is wrong because of should.

Right version -
The financial experts demand that the policy makers listen wall street first, whenever making any law.

Expert opinion please .

Thanks,
PM.


Top 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
 
 Page 1 of 2 [ 27 posts ] Go to page 1, 2  Next





Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests

 
 

 
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to: